Monday, March 3, 2014

10 Days!!! The countdown continues...

Getting closer and closer to my departure date and the anticipation keeps building and building.

Its funny, yesterday I was at the golf course with good friend of mine (Gregg) watching our friends play in a golf tournament. We noticed this guy walking aimlessly but enjoying himself. He stops near us, as we were in awe of the talented girls playing, and decided to speak to us. We exchanged pleasantries and found out that he does in fact play golf occasionally. 

We then starting talking about his work at Pfizer and how he (Don) enjoys all the benefits.  Gregg replied with how he is still chasing the dream of being a professional golfer and how its a tough grind. When it came to my turn to share I froze. I didn't know what to say. I initially started with my time at Enterprise and then leaving to work for IBD. I even made the joke about how Pfizer likes to recruit from Enterprise because we (they) are expert sellers. (or so they claim)

Don then asked if I ever thought about doing pharmaceutical sales. At this point I didn't want to do the whole song and dance of get his card and not follow through, so I decided to be honest. I told Don that I was moving to China to teach English.

"You're moving to China!" Don said, "I lived in China for two years to study Chinese and teach English." My jaw dropped. My mind was completely blown. This changed the whole dynamic of our conversation. I had so much to ask, but as a young black man there was one question I absolutely had to ask.

"Did you experience any racism during your stay in China?" The reason I asked is because I had come across some articles from young black professionals in China claiming that they had experienced some form of racism. Albeit, this was in the late 90's and I'm sure things have changed. I asked just to be sure.

 He quickly responded, "No." He said that everyone he came in contact with was extremely nice and genuine. I was assured that I will have the best time of my life and to take full advantage of it.

Before we departed Don gave me a few places in China that I "have" to check out and I promised him that I will.

I am glad that I ended up speaking to Don because it showed me that you never know who you are going to meet and what they can offer you. I am going to take this as a lesson and apply it to being more open to meet people on my travels to Southeast Asia and my time in China.

Should be interesting to say the least...

No comments:

Post a Comment