Thursday, May 29, 2014

Indonesia and... food poisoning

Had food poison yesterday. It was not fun. It was just a full day of being in the bathroom. Plus, I felt like I was going to die.

I've been in Indonesia for a little over a week now. Having a great time and seeing a lot. We started in town called Yogyakarta. I didn't know Yogyakarta existed until we decided to go there. From what I read, it is considered to be a quiet, culturally traditional city. Traditional as in a heavy Muslim influence. Had a great time, apart from the Air Asia misplacing my bag for a few days... but I don't need/want to get into that. We went to this restaurant/lounge that was playing live music and had a nice meal with some great entertainment. The band was excellent. The best part of it all was that downstairs, where the band was playing, was all local people. It was a relaxed, friendly atmosphere that I thoroughly  enjoyed... plus the beer was cold

From Yogyakarta, we traveled to Bali. Kuta Beach was the first stop in Bali... To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with Kuta Beach or the night life. It was too built up with McDonalds, Startbucks, Pizza Hut and etc... I did learn how to surf in Kuta and it was fun. I stood up on my first wave. I guess you can say I'm a natural. I surfed for about 4 hours that day and I was pretty sure the next day. But it was all worth it. After Kuta, we went to Ubud which is another city in Bali. Ubud is in the mountain and had more of a community feel. We did a white water rafting tour and a bike tour down the mountain. The rating tour was crazy fun, even though some of the members of our raft were scared and didnt help row.... those people will remain nameless... mostly because I don't remember their names. The bike tour down the mountain was beautiful. We rode through the forest, rice paddies and a small village. It was interesting to learn how everyone in the community helps out in some way shape or form. We also saw a cock fight on the bike tour, but I'm not sure if that was planned. We just kinda stumbled upon it. The best meal I had in Ubud was roasted pig, hands down. It was so tender and juicy. The sausage was nice and spicy and accompanied with a piece of crispy pork skin. My taste buds were in a frenzy.


From Ubud we traveled to Gili T, which is an island of the coast of Lombok... which is another island Ha. On my boat ride I met some cool girls from Canada and Germany (Alex, Tammy and Lisa). I am very lucky that I sat in that seat ;-).  Gili T is cool, there is not much to see here, but the beach is beautiful and there is a huge party every night. I did get food poisoning on my first night here, so yesterday was pretty rough. The crazy thing, I've been traveling for about 2 months now and I get taken out by a street burger... kinda sad. I feel better now and I'm ready to hit the beach and rave tonight.


Pictures coming soon... and don't forget to check out Jon's blog (http://wanderingwon.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment